Thursday, September 27, 2007

Light the candles

I used to consider myself a pretty decent friend. I remembered everyone's birthday and I'd at least give them a call on their birthday to wish them a happy day. I always tried to make sure that my friend had a good day to remember on their birthdays. However, as I've gotten more involved in work, I've become more focused on my aspiration and forgotten that I had friends, I've become quite oblivious of the fact that my friends are still a large part of my life. This is a public apology to all of my friends for forgetting your birthday, whether it has passed or whether it is coming up.

This brings me to another thought. Why is it that the older we get, the less sensitive we get to the presence of others in our lives? We are always so involved in our own lives that we forget about the people around us, who care about us. I may actually just be speaking for myself, but I really feel that I have become insensitive to those around me. Its tough having to grow up and maintain the relationships you had before the real world slapped you in the face. In college, my idea of fun was just hanging out with friends, whether we were playing boardgames until 3am or on 6th street until 3am. Now, I'm lucky if I have the energy to even drag myself out of my room to meet up with friends for a drink. Maybe yoga may help...