Sunday, September 23, 2007

The truth about style...

People often ask me what rules I follow when it comes to my wardrobe and sometimes I can bullshit something well enough that it sounds legit, but honestly, I don't think their are set rules to having style. The rules change so often, that ignoring one or two can be the start of a new trend. It used to be that black never went with brown, or gold never went with silver, and big flashy jewelery should only be worn with elegant gowns. Now, black DOES go with brown, two-toned jewelery is versatile, and big flashy jewelery can even be worn with a tshirt and jeans. I think the most important factors in determining the quality of style is color, fit, and poise.

Color is such a crucial factor in my daily life--not only in what I wear, but also in what I look at, and what I find beautiful. I like to mix complementary colors in my outfits in subtle, understated ways... maybe a turquoise necklace with a red sweater, or purple drop-earrings with an orange dress. However, I can't begin to emphasize how important it is to know when you're over-doing it. I wouldn't be caught dead walking down the street wearing a big green hat with a red tshirt, green pants and green boots.

Fit is so extremely important, it's not even funny. You wouldn't believe how many girls I see every day wearing clothes that are just not the right size. I am guilty of this myself. I admit that there are times that I just don't want to admit that I've gotten fatter and I need to go up a size. As we speak, I am wearing a cookie monster tshirt I got for my birthday two years ago that my boobs have rapidly outgrown due to my post-college weight gain, but I love this tshirt and I will most likely be wearing it for the next ten to twenty years. However, this is no excuse for wearing it out in public. You can still flaunt the goods without wearing something that is two sizes too small.

The most important thing in possessing style is possessing confidence--confidence in yourself, in how you look, and how you feel in your clothes. If you feel good in what you wear, you'll more than likely look good in what you wear--not because of what you're wearing, but how you're wearing it. You could be wearing a $10,000 Versace gown and still look hideous if you don't feel good in it. You could be wearing a plain white tee with jeans and look ravishing because your confidence illuminates.