Saturday, September 1, 2007

Have a date with yourself...

You may think it sounds sad and pathetic to have a night alone with yourself, but I actually find it extremely refreshing to be able to be in the comfort of home all by myself, snuggling up with my favorite pillow and throw, sipping a glass of fruitful red wine, and watching a delightful, semi-honest indie film. Some of my favorites have been 'Annie Hall' and 'Scoop' by Woody Allen. Recently, I've developed a taste for Woody Allen's quirky and witty sense of humor. However, my favorite rental this summer, has to be 'Broken English' with Parker Posey and Melvil Poupaud [a handsome French actor]. This movie first caught my eye because of Parker Posey. I love her. I think she is adorably quirky and her fashion sense isn't too shabby either. She plays a neurotic, desparate woman looking for love in all of the wrong places. Her lonliness is, in part, due to the fact that when she finds something good, she pushes it away. When she begins to give up on the hope of finding love and romance, the love of her life finally appears, but she is skeptical and resistant because she never imagined that something this wonderful could ever happen to her. Sounds cliche to you? Well, this is in no way a typical chick flick. This woman is seriously disturbed and depressed and you really start to feel her pain, which makes it an honest film. The only thing that seemed too good to be true was the fact that Melvil's part is completely empathetic and understanding of his love interest and the ending is a bit of a stretch. However, it never exactly gives you a happily-ever-after ending. You should see it for yourself.